This is the almost-anonymous story of an overweight, middle-aged athlete trying get a handle on his food and bring his weight back down to a reasonable level. Dropping his body fat down to 12%. Trading a 6-pack for a 6-pack.

20140102

The Scale

At a friends recommendation, I bought a body-fat measuring scale. I won't weigh myself every day - I'm not taking the scale with me when I travel. But I will post the results here every time. And I may get compulsive about it, so sorry.

First, my stats for today:
217.4 pounds
22.1% body fat
53.2% water
161.2 pounds lean body mass
2263 calories basal metabolic rate

Over the past few weeks, this is on the high end but within an acceptable range. I've been as light as 213 pounds, and my body fat has measured as high as 23% (almost a quarter of my weight - fucking hell).

In Racing Weight: Quick Start Guide, Matt Fitgerald has a formula for determining an endurance athlete's ideal competitive weight.  Since my first goal is simply to loose body-fat, this is less important to me in the short term but will be more important in the long term, and I think its an interesting metric to have and compare against.  Here's how he gets there:

Step 1: Calculate your body fat mass
current weight x current body fat % = body fat mass
217.4 x 0.221 = 48 pounds

Step 2: Calculate you lean body mass
current weight - body fat mass = lean body mass
217.4 - 48 = 169 pounds
Note how this differs from the scale measurement? Its likely because of water mass. Because I plan on using this as a reference, not a rule-stick, I'll keep going with the process. I just need to remember my first goal - 12% body fat.

Step 3: Calculate your goal weight
100 - goal body fat = goal lean body mass %
100 - 12 = 88%
Current lean body mass / Goal lean body mass % = Goal body weight
169 / 0.88 = 192 pounds

If I substitute my scale's measurement (161 pounds) for Step 2 (169 pounds), I end up with a Goal body weight of 183 pounds (a significant difference). This does jive with my no formula, back of the envelope calculation that I wanted to reach 185 pounds. I think, for now, that I can't dwell on the Racing Weight formula and just need to create consistency in action. Time to put the computer down and go do something. And have breakfast.